February 20, 2023

Skyrim Unarmed Build - Part 1: Meet Do'raan

For a long time now I have wanted to attempt a Skyrim character capable of beating nearly anyone barehanded - guards, mammoths, dragons... anything. I am going to try this solo - no companion, and without resorting to shouts. "Hand to Hand" is not a skill that can be leveled like in Oblivion, so I will have to use skill perks for this build to work. To that end, I will be using weapons for leveling and perk purposes. Let's see how things turn out...

JOURNAL ENTRY 1

 
For my character's race I went with the Khajiit because of their "Claws" race perk which is necessary for this build to work. I gave him a black and white color scheme with bright blue eyes and a few facial scars to emphasize the aggressive nature of this guy. Normally I would avoid using blue eyes because I like to try and encourage myself to use the less pretty colors like brown, but blue just seemed to suit him the best out of the available choices. Green, red or yellow eyes ended up making him look too evil and menacing.

For his name I initially considered using "Tiger Septim" but dropped it in favor of something more lore friendly - "Do'raan". "Do" is the Khajiit prefix for warrior and "raan" is the dragon language word for animal. Time for some stats:

As a Khajiit he gets the following skill bonuses:

+10 Sneak (25)

+5 Lock-picking (20)

+5 Pickpocket (20)

+5 Archery (20)

+5 One-Handed (20)

+5 Alchemy (20)

My character build will not get much use out of these. Do'raan is going to need heavy armor for protection and access to certain perks found within that skill tree. We are also going to need a few points into smithing and enchanting. 

The following starting spells:

Flames (Destruction)

Healing (Restoration)

Healing will be useful, but Do'raan does not posses much talent in the magical arts (as is usually the case with his race). This is an area we are going to neglect.

And finally, the following special abilities:

Night-Eye: See in the dark for 60 Seconds. Usage per day is unlimited.

Claws: Unarmed attacks do 15 points of damage. (The game states 15, but the actual value is 12?)

We will be making the most of these. Interesting fact: The Khajiit's claws are already doing more damage than most of the starting weapons.

The skills I will be focusing on are as follows:

Heavy Armor: When your up in someone's face you are going to need the best protection. This tree also has the "Fist of Steel" perk which adds your gauntlet's base rating as damage to every swing.

One-Handed: The perk tree has two useful skills - "Dual Flurry" which makes all attacks 35% faster, and "Dual Savagery" which adds 50% bonus damage to power attacks when dual wielding.

Smithing: Having the very best heavy armor and gauntlets available is important for this build. Being able to improve that gear is an added bonus.

Enchanting: There is a single, special enchantment that boosts unarmed damage. It can be applied to gloves and a ring.

Do'raan's starting gear is a Stormcloak cuirass, an iron warhammer and Imperial boots, bracers and helmet. My first task is to seek out a crazed homeless man named Gian, living  within the Riften sewers. As I travel along the road through Riverwood towards Whiterun I encounter the Companions battling a Giant in someone's garden. I try to help them out because I want to make a good impression and possibly join them. They have trainers and a curse I could make use of. We slay the giant together but then they all turn on me.

I circle around Whiterun in an attempt to loose the warriors and discover an alcove filled with crates. I don't recall ever seeing this before. Do'raan kills the two bandits standing watch but the only noteworthy loot inside is five bottles of Skooma. As I turn around to leave, two more bandits and a vampire(?) mage appear seemingly out of thin air. The vampire drops Do'raan's health to less than half but Raan pulls through. I nab some nice iron armor off of their bodies and attempt to ride their horse to Riften but loose it after stopping to inspect a stray dog.
 

Previous Entry - N/A 

Next Entry - Part 2: To Riften

No comments:

Post a Comment